Saturday, January 30, 2016

I was unfair to the kids. I am not sorry.

The Stick Game

For Team Time this week we played a game that the kids call, The Stick Game.

To play this game:
1.  I separate the students into 4 groups.  I divide them by gender, or grade level, and sometimes even by race.  The students aren't told how the groups are formed, and they often don't notice what the differences are.

2. I hand out sticks to each player at each table.  I traditionally give more sticks to players in certain groups than others.  Again, the students don't check.  They assume I am being fair, even though I have announced that I have no intention of being fair.

3.  I spill some sticks on the floor, and let some groups pick them up without comment, while others I yell at for picking them up and say that it's against the rules to pick up sticks off of the floor.

4.  I tell them that they have to each pay a 4 stick tax every 10 minutes.

5.  In order to earn sticks, they have to answer the questions correctly.  It costs one stick to answer the question, but you don't get it back if you answer incorrectly.  You only get paid for correct answers. I can ask whatever question I want.

6.  In between question session, you may buy a Law Plate for 8 sticks.  You may then propose a law.  If I decide to accept the law, it passes; if not, it either dies, or they can pay 4 sticks to put it to a class vote.  If the class voted it in, the law passes.  Whether your law passes or not, you don't get your money back.

As the game begins the students notice that some of the questions are super difficult. For example, question 1 was "How do you spell my first name?"  Even I struggle with this.  The person that got the point, is suspected of cheating.  He belongs to a certain group that I am favoring, I ignore the allegations.  Other questions involved certain student's middle names and the names of another student's parents.  Other questions involved really difficult math that only a few students knew how to solve.

When it came to buying laws, one group tried to buy a law that says "All biased questions will be asked about things our group knows."  I told them that everyone could possibly know all the answers to the questions. Vetoed.  But, they can put it to the class and have a vote for 4 sticks.  No deal. They knew it wouldn't pass.  Another group tried to pass a law that said, "No more taxes."  It passed.  But, when another group tried to pass a law that said that everyone should get 10 sticks, I said that I didn't have enough sticks because they had abolished taxes and I didn't have enough income for this venture.  They amended the law to say that 10 sticks would be given out once the funds were available to do so.  I said no.  They paid for a vote.  They soon discovered that 3 of the 4 groups had 3 members each, and one had 4.  If they were to give each person 10 sticks, the group with 4 would have more.  They had already paid for a vote, so they voted.  Only the table with for members voted for the law.  Not even the table that proposed the law voted for it. That is when we ran out of time.

We will play this again.  I want them to see how to change the system and make laws that fight the unjust rules.  I want them to make laws that aren't selfish.  I want them to pay attention to what is unjust even if it isn't affecting them.  I want to make them so angry that they fight back.

None of these metaphors are perfect, but I hope to give them a glimpse of how hard it can be to be treated unfairly by the system.  If you have any ideas or additions for this activity, please let me know.  I am eager to make it better.

1 comment:

  1. My suggestion is to introduce an element involving "The Other Class" sometimes being involved in this class's game, such as "the other class played well and made a law that says they get some of this class's sticks," while never giving details about what really happened in the mysterious class or who was in it. "The Other Class" is of course made up and you can decide whatever you like for what "The Other Class" did, and allow the students to take or give sticks from or to the Other Class if they make laws for it.
    The metaphor is foreign aid and about how nobody seems to care very much about the people of Africa.

    ReplyDelete